Tuesday 2 March 2010

Additional 3-D models




Ooops! I almost forgot about these pieces and these are slightly more recent ones that I did whilst in uni. One of my first year projects I had to make a contemporary bird box and the design I had in mind was completely different to the finished model. The basis of the structure comprises two wooden circles cut out to make a spherical shape and then I two identical moulded plastic cups that slot nicely inside and all of that is held up by sturdy copper rods. If I had more time I would have liked to make a series of these structures branching out from the original one.  


I remember this was one of the last projects that I did in my first year at uni and we had to make an ad - campaign based around a channel 4 theme entitled 'tea and sympathy'. My initial response was wft?! but when the brief was explained clearer I thought of many things that could depict British culture (namely the depressing weather). So I designed a poster along with making the channel 4 ident but as an old fashioned wrought iron styled lamppost. The inspiration for this came from the existing mirage effect of distorting shapes and then turning it into the channel 4 logo as currently seen before a televised programme. It took me about a week and half to complete the two fragments of the ident and if I had a little more time I would have liked to make a moving screen shot like how the channel 4 idents are made.




My music inspired project is the only piece I don't have on me due to an absent-minded ceramics student who forgot to turn off an oven and practically burnt a good portion of the harrow campus site (summer 2007). The other main things I lost was a sketchbook that I worked an entire summer on and an entire draw filled with most of my second year work, so you could imagine how annoyed I was to know that they couldn't retrieve it (>_<).
The inspiration behind this project stems form my love of listening to various types of music. So my way of interpreting that was to make a relief piece (I forget the dimensions but it was probably bigger than A1) of a tree that had branches with speakers on the end. I called this 'Branched sound' because I wanted it to represent the different types of music that i listen to.
The piece was on exhibition in my uni gallery and submitted to the mercury music prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment